Two photos of the Caribbean island of Barbados today 🇧🇧🇧🇧. The sunset is actually one of my favorite photos and coincidentally one of my most popular on Flickr. Anyway, here I have some fun facts about Barbados.
1. Barbados is 21 miles long and 14 miles wide.
2. It has been important for sugar production since sugar cane was imported into the island from Brazil in the mid 17th century. The labor was undertaken by slaves. Slavery was abolished in 1807.
3. The climate falls into two seasons, the wet season from June to November and the dry season from December to May. Temperatures in both seasons run from 70 – 89 F, but the wet season can see between 40 and 90 inches of rain. However, Barbados lies outside the main hurricane routes.
4. The economy is largely based on tourism, manufacturing and sugar cane production. Mount Gay Rum claims to be the oldest rum producer in the world.
5. Cricket is the most popular sport and several Barbadians are usually in the West Indies team. Test matches are also played on the island.
6. Rihanna, the singer comes from Barbados.
As might be expected, tourism is very well developed on the island and accommodation can be found to suit all budgets. To find out more check out the Barbados Tourism website.
#rum #sugarcane @brittrip2017 @rgtmum #www.mybrittrip.com #brittrip #britain #cricket #flickr.com/Photos/rgtmum #barbados