Ahhh…Key West, Florida today. Let’s see what facts and tips we can find about this extremely interesting and lovely place situated at the very southern tip of Florida.
1. Key West is an island and a city. The island is 4 miles long and 1 mile wide. It is only 90 miles from Cuba. A famous tourist attraction is the Southernmost Point marker at the end of Duval Street.
2. The island became part of the US in 1822 after a US flag was put up on the island and no other country put up any resistance.
3. Pan Am, the airline, was first established in Key West in 1926, offering a service to Havana, Cuba. A road opened in 1938 linking the island to the mainland. A railroad was opened in 1912.
4. The temperature fluctuates from 74 F in January to 89 F in August. Most rain falls between July and September.
5. Famous tourist attractions include Duval Street (photo one), Sloppy Joes (also photo one), Hogsbreath Saloon, Margaritaville, Truman Whitehouse, the Lighthouse, Hemingway House (photo two), Sunset at Mallory Square…there is so much to see and do, check out Visit Florida for all the information.
6. Key West has had a military presence since 1823 and there is a US Naval station there today.
Fun Tip: Take a look around Key West cemetery which has above ground tombs as well as some wonderful epitaphs – “I told you I was sick”.
#keywest #florida #floridakeys #unitedstates #mybrittrip.com #britain #brittrip2017 @brittrip2017 @rgtmum #duvalstreet #caribbean